Welcome to the long-awaited springtime! There are a lot of exciting things happening at SOIL this spring and we hope you take a few minutes to check out the most recent highlights below. ‘
Also, a huge thank you to everyone who contributed during the first two days of our Spring Challenge. Please help us reach our goal of expanding SOIL’s sanitation service, doubling our waste treatment operation, testing SOIL compost on four new crops, and teaching 500 more practitioners about how to replicate SOIL’s successes in their own communities. It’s an ambitious goal, but we believe we can do it with your support!
With love from Haiti,
An Innovative Marketing Plan – Carnival-Style
For this year’s Carnaval Des Etudiants in Cap-Haitien, a lcoal theatre troupe dressed up in red and blue costumes, donned face-paint and glitter, and took to the streets with baskets of fresh produce, samples of SOIL compost, and a model SOIL EcoSan toilet. Check out the fun!
SOIL Toilets on the Move
Business is booming for SOIL’s new mobile toilet enterprise! The mobile toilets, which are donated port-a-potties that our sanitation team has retrofitted with SOIL’s simple EcoSan technology, are our newest income-generating project. Along with our household toilet pilot business, compost sales, and marketing crops from our research farms, profits from mobile toilet rentals provide valuable revenue to support our free public toilets as well as other SOIL projects.
SOIL Honored by a Schwab Foundation Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award
We’re very pleased to announce that SOIL’s Executive Director and Co-Founder, Dr. Sasha Kramer, has been named a 2014 Schwab Foundation Social Entrepreneur of the Year in recognition of her groundbreaking work developing new social business models for the ecological and financially sustainable provision of sanitation services in some of the world’s most impoverished communities.
California Dreaming: SOIL Agonomist Heads to Sustainable Farming Training
We are pleased to announce that our Cap-Haitien Agricultural Director, Romel Toussaint, has been awarded a scholarship to attend a six-month training with Ecology Action in California. Romel will be missed this summer, but we’re looking forward to digging into expansions of our experimental farm as soon as he gets back!
From New York to Port-au-Prince: Environmental Engineering Students Visit SOIL
In March, a group of five inspired environmental engineering students from the College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) at the State University of New York visited SOIL’s operations in Cap-Haitien and Port-au-Prince. Read more about their eventful visit touring SOIL’s sustainable development projects on the SOIL blog.
World Economic Forum Blog: Why Social Entrepreneurs See the Opportunity in Waste
Gone are the days of sanitation languishing in the shadows while other basic human needs take the spotlight. In the past decade, the topic of sanitation has emerged from backroom discussions among engineers at water conferences to a high-level, global dialogue among activists, celebrities and philanthropists. Read more of Sasha’s post from the World Economic Forum blog here.
To help SOIL meet the increasing demand for ecological sanitation in Haiti, our friends at 11th Hour Project have pledged to match all donations to SOIL dollar for dollar between April 10th – May 10th, up to our goal of $75,000. Double the impact of your donation by contributing today!
- June 2014 Newsletter: Honoring Exploration
- May 2014 Newsletter: The Best Time of Year
- April 2014 Newsletter: Carnival, Social Entrepreneurship, and Permaculture
- March 2014 Newsletter: Making Lemonade Out of Lemons
- February 2014 Newsletter: Donations to SOIL Matched
- January 2014 Newsletter: Resilient as the Soil
- December 2013 Newsletter: Happy Holidays!
- November 2013 Newsletter: Harvest Time!
- October 2013 Newsletter: SOIL Sells Over 70,000 Gallons of Compost
- September 2013 Newsletter: Join SOIL in Combatting Climate Change with Compost
- August 2013 Newsletter: Summer Parties
- July 2013 Newsletter: Double Win for Haiti
- June 2013 Newsletter: June News
- May 2013 Newsletter: A Sustainable Sanitation Revolution
- April 2013 Newsletter: Shada Flood
- March 2013 Newsletter: Springtime in the Caribbean
- February 2013 Newsletter: Growing Into 2013
- January 2013 Newsletter: Hope and Remembrance 3 Years Later
- December 2012 Newsletter: Happy Holidays from SOIL
- November 2012 Newsletter: 10,000 Trees for Haiti
- October 2012 Newsletter: With Love from Port-au-Prince
- September 2012 Newsletter: Where’s the restroom?
- August 2012 Newsletter: 70 Friends Keep the Toilets Open
- July 2012 Newsletter: Compost and Cabbages
- June 2012 Newsletter: Sustainable Sanitation Works in Haiti
- May 2012 Newsletter: South Africa, Haiti, Sanitation and Friends
- Spring Newsletter 2012: We have 400,000 gallons of compost!
- January 2012: We’re Growing Vegetables and Playing Soccer in Port-au-Prince Again
- Winter 2011 – Ecological Sanitation Catches on in Haiti
- October 2011: Great news from Port-au-Prince!
- June 2011: Dear Friends of SOIL
- Winter Newsletter 2010: Burning Tires in the Time of Cholera
- Fall 2010 Newsletter: SOIL’s EcoSan Toilets Revolutionize Emergency Sanitation