Blavity: Combatting the Legacy of Environmental Racism in Haiti
Photo Credit: Vic Hinterlang
Far too often discussions about environmental degradation and the global climate crisis miss the mark when it comes to the legacy of colonialism and racism. Though Haiti’s geographical location and topological features certainly increase the nation’s physical vulnerability to the impacts of climate change, the degree of environmental degradation and environmental vulnerability in Haiti is anything but natural.
How this Org is Helping Haitians Reclaim their Land by Working to Combat Environmental Racism | Blavity
It is neither normal nor natural that Haiti, a country with a negligible direct contribution to global greenhouse gas emissions, is now considered among the most climate-vulnerable in the world. The UN’s special rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights recently coined this phenomenon the “climate apartheid” and warns that without drastic restructuring of global systems, countries like Haiti will only continue to face more grave consequences for global climate inaction.
SOIL’s Beverly Pierre had a chance to join Shelby Mayes of Blavity in conversation about the intersection of environmental racism, climate change, and public health in Haiti. Click here to read the original article, where Beverly shares how SOIL is working to regenerate ecological systems and restore depleted soil health throughout the country.
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our work in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
Other Recent SOIL Coverage
- SOCIETY Magazine: Completing the Poop Loop Jan 20, 2020
- AJ+ Français: TURNING DEADLY POOP INTO FERTILE SOIL Jan 7, 2020
- Green America: Tackling Soil, Sanitation, and Beyond in Haiti Jan 3, 2020
- JSTOR: A History of Human Waste As Fertilizers Nov 25, 2019
- Webinar: SOIL Talks Climate Connections with ILSR Nov 15, 2019
- Video: Sasha Kramer Talks Sustainable Sanitation with IWA Nov 11, 2019
- Sanitation & Climate: SOIL at World Water Week Sep 9, 2019
- 15 of the Most Impactful Global Climate Projects Aug 2, 2019
- Blavity: Combatting the Legacy of Environmental Racism in Haiti Jul 8, 2019
- Video: Composting Waste Treatment | Narrated by David Attenborough Jul 2, 2019