December 2012 Newsletter: Happy Holidays from SOIL
The holidays are almost upon us, and the SOIL offices in both Port-au-Prince and Cap-Haitien are buzzing with excitement. Last week in Shada, Cap-Haitien, we officially launched the household toilet project with the installation of 143 household toilets. In Port-au-Prince we have sold over 700 bags of compost, our first big sale ever!!!
We hope you will take a moment to catch up on some of the SOIL news below – a lot has happened over the past month! – and that you will be inspired to make a holiday contribution. We have two exciting ways to give this month. The first is a chance to help us reach an end of year goal of $20,000 for keeping our sanitation programs going and expanding our outreach to other communities. Learn more on SOIL’s Razoo page. The second option, for those of you who are looking for a gift for someone special in your life who is passionate about social change, please consider buying a SOIL gift that will go towards supporting a community project in Haiti. You can buy a gift in honor of someone you love and we will send them a card. We have lots of exciting gifts this year, from buying baby tilapia for the fish farm to purchasing a bag of SOIL’s special Christmas compost.
This holiday season we are grateful for the kindness of the communities in which we work, the dedication of our colleagues in Cap-Haitien and Port-au-Prince, and the love and solidarity of our supporters around the world. THANK YOU!
With love from Haiti,
Sasha and the entire SOIL team
- The SOIL team came together to celebrate the official launch of the Household Toilet Project in Shada, Cap-Haitien. Read about the Inauguration Event and check out pictures and video here.
- The SOIL Port-au-Prince office is running a Holiday Compost special! We are hoping to sell 1,200 bags of compost before the end of December. Learn more here, or consider purchasing a SOIL gift of donated compost.
- SOIL received further recognition for our work on reforestation, soil regeneration and sustainable land management from the Univated Nations at the Climate Change Conference in Doha, Qatar. Read more and watch some videos here.
- And last but not least, thank you to everyone who voted for SOIL’s video in the Grand Challenges Canada Rising Stars in Public Health competition! Your support helped us win this prestigious award whichwill go towards expanding the household toilet project in Cap-Haitien! Read the press release.
Some SOIL Adventures
- Wheeling into CGI SOIL-style! Introducing the Christmas Compost special to our Clinton Global Initiative partners.
- Waterborne disease hits close to home: Two SOIL team members contract Typhoid
- Watch the Theo Talks video series! Every week we post a new Theo Talk. Explore EcoSan and northern Haiti with our Regional Director, Theo Huitema.
- Looking for the perfect holiday gift for a friend or loved one who is passionate about social justice and change? Consider a SOIL gift this season! Choose from our many fun options, and we will create a personalized card for your recipient, letting them know that you have contributed to SOIL in their honor.
- Can you help us think of a name for the SOIL tree nursery and farm in Cap-Haitien? If you come up with the winning name, you’ll receive a beautiful 2013 SOIL calendar!
- Passionate about reforestation in Haiti? Help us plant 10,000 Trees for Haiti! Watch the video and learn more at https://www.oursoil.org/10000-trees-for-haiti/.
- Help us reach our December goal of $20,000 for keeping our sanitation programs going and expanding our outreach to other communities next year. Learn more on SOIL’s Razoo page.