Final Earthquake Response Update
It is imperative that Haitians are able to respond to the needs of their communities because oftentimes, outside actors don’t know the reality of what the population really needs.
– Rea Dol, long-time SOIL partner and founder of SOPUDEP
We are proud of the way in which SOIL was able to quickly respond to the devastating earthquake in southern Haiti in August. With the help of a courageous team of Haitian volunteers, community leaders and generous supporters like you, SOIL was able to channel 100% of the $95,000 raised for direct relief to support the victims of the earthquake. With these donations we not only provided immediate emergency supplies, but were able to work in partnership with the local community authorities in the communes affected by the earthquake to empower local decision makers in helping their communities.
At the request of, and in collaboration with local authorities, the SOIL volunteers were able to identify over 100 vulnerable households that were badly damaged by the earthquake to purchase construction materials for rebuilding these homes. We are proud that our strong community networks allowed us to channel the generous donations of the SOIL network to overlooked rural areas in partnership with Haitian community leaders – helping to support families on the road to recovery.
We’ve put together a short video of SOIL’s emergency response below and we hope you take a moment to check it out! We simply could not have done this without your support and we are deeply grateful for your solidarity.
The SOIL team
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- SOIL provides dignified sanitation at PapJazz Jan 24, 2023
- SOIL Talks Trash (Magic) Jan 17, 2023
- Climate Mitigation: SOIL’s continuing partnership with Global Water Intelligence Jan 12, 2023
- Renewed hope in the new year and proud reflections of the past year Jan 4, 2023
- Sanitation. Dignity. Hope. Dec 20, 2022
- A conversation with SOIL’s Waste Treatment Manager, Sadouddly Michael Lambert Dec 7, 2022
- SOIL’s 2022 Annual Report Dec 7, 2022
- A conversation with SOIL’s Keurlit Charles Dec 1, 2022
- A Conversation with SOIL’s Human Resources Director, Wisner Jean-Louis Nov 23, 2022
- Making the Invisible Visible with CBSA’s Rémi Kaupp Nov 16, 2022