Final Earthquake Response Update
It is imperative that Haitians are able to respond to the needs of their communities because oftentimes, outside actors don’t know the reality of what the population really needs.
– Rea Dol, long-time SOIL partner and founder of SOPUDEP
We are proud of the way in which SOIL was able to quickly respond to the devastating earthquake in southern Haiti in August. With the help of a courageous team of Haitian volunteers, community leaders and generous supporters like you, SOIL was able to channel 100% of the $95,000 raised for direct relief to support the victims of the earthquake. With these donations we not only provided immediate emergency supplies, but were able to work in partnership with the local community authorities in the communes affected by the earthquake to empower local decision makers in helping their communities.
At the request of, and in collaboration with local authorities, the SOIL volunteers were able to identify over 100 vulnerable households that were badly damaged by the earthquake to purchase construction materials for rebuilding these homes. We are proud that our strong community networks allowed us to channel the generous donations of the SOIL network to overlooked rural areas in partnership with Haitian community leaders – helping to support families on the road to recovery.
We’ve put together a short video of SOIL’s emergency response below and we hope you take a moment to check it out! We simply could not have done this without your support and we are deeply grateful for your solidarity.
The SOIL team
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- Papers to Practice Podcast: SOIL’s Dr. Sasha Kramer and Research Partner, Dr. Rebecca Ryal discuss GHG Emissions and Waste Sep 20, 2022
- SOIL & Schools: Inspiring the Next Generation of Change Makers Sep 7, 2022
- Expanding SOIL’s Data Concepts and Analyses Using DataCamp Aug 31, 2022
- Meet Beverly, SOIL’s new Sr. Sales Manager! Aug 15, 2022
- PouBèlAyiti and World Environment Day: A Conversation with Angie Bell Aug 4, 2022
- Back to the Basics: An Overview of SOIL’s Essential Service Jul 25, 2022
- Strategies for Change: SOIL’s Partnership with Appleseed Jul 11, 2022
- GENERATING EVIDENCE TO IMPROVE CUSTOMER PAYMENT BEHAVIOR INTERVENTIONS FOR CBS SERVICE IN HAITI Jul 11, 2022
- Breeding in Progress: Updates on SOIL’s BSFL Research Jul 8, 2022
- New Publication Links Container-Based Sanitation and Human Rights Jun 24, 2022