Final Earthquake Response Update
It is imperative that Haitians are able to respond to the needs of their communities because oftentimes, outside actors don’t know the reality of what the population really needs.
– Rea Dol, long-time SOIL partner and founder of SOPUDEP
We are proud of the way in which SOIL was able to quickly respond to the devastating earthquake in southern Haiti in August. With the help of a courageous team of Haitian volunteers, community leaders and generous supporters like you, SOIL was able to channel 100% of the $95,000 raised for direct relief to support the victims of the earthquake. With these donations we not only provided immediate emergency supplies, but were able to work in partnership with the local community authorities in the communes affected by the earthquake to empower local decision makers in helping their communities.
At the request of, and in collaboration with local authorities, the SOIL volunteers were able to identify over 100 vulnerable households that were badly damaged by the earthquake to purchase construction materials for rebuilding these homes. We are proud that our strong community networks allowed us to channel the generous donations of the SOIL network to overlooked rural areas in partnership with Haitian community leaders – helping to support families on the road to recovery.
We’ve put together a short video of SOIL’s emergency response below and we hope you take a moment to check it out! We simply could not have done this without your support and we are deeply grateful for your solidarity.
The SOIL team
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- Creating Greater Impact Together: Interview with DINEPA’s Jude Fanfan Dec 2, 2021
- Job Post: Engineering and Operations Senior Research Fellow Nov 26, 2021
- SOIL’s 2021 Annual Report Nov 19, 2021
- World Toilet Day: Valuing Container-based Sanitation Nov 17, 2021
- SOIL at Expo 2020 Dubai Nov 10, 2021
- Final Earthquake Response Update Nov 9, 2021
- SOIL’s community-led earthquake response: Interview with Réa Dol Oct 27, 2021
- New Research on Container-based Sanitation Models Published in H2Open Journal Oct 19, 2021
- How Rapid Urbanization in Haiti can overburden fragile systems Oct 8, 2021
- The Challenges of Results-Based Financing for Sanitation: Shared Lessons Learned from Haiti Oct 5, 2021