Green America: Tackling Soil, Sanitation, and Beyond in Haiti
For a recently published feature about SOIL’s lifesaving sanitation service, Kevin Fitzpatrick of Green America interviewed SOIL Executive Director and Co-Founder Dr. Sasha Kramer about what led her to co-found SOIL, the connection between sanitation and agriculture, and the innovation behind SOIL’s revolutionary composting waste treatment facility.
SOIL’s solution “addresses a wide range of basic human rights issues such as access to food, access to sanitation, and living in a clean environment.” And, as Dr. Kramer shared with Kevin, “sanitation and food are inextricably connected, both in the sense that you wouldn’t poop if you didn’t eat, and eventually if we don’t capture the nutrients in that poop, we’re not going to be able to eat anymore.”
Thanks to SOIL’s full-cycle sanitation and waste treatment services in Haiti, over 40 metric tons of waste that could have otherwise polluted water sources are safely treated and transformed into agricultural-grade compost each month!
If you’d like to read more about the intersection between climate and sanitation or dig into SOIL’s history, check out the full article here.
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our work in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
Other Recent SOIL Coverage
- SOIL Featured in New Book: Pipe Dreams by author Chelsea Wald Apr 16, 2021
- SOIL featured in Expo 2020 Dubai Global Best Practice Programme | Untold Stories Oct 5, 2020
- An Interview with Entre Nous: A Big Problem in Haiti – the Environment Sep 15, 2020
- Yon ti chita pale ak “Entre Nous”: Yon Gwo Pwoblem an Ayiti – Anviwonman an Sep 15, 2020
- Yale Climate Connections: As the planet warms, can we afford to treat poop as waste? Sep 1, 2020
- August Newsletter: SOIL Launches New Marketing Campaign as Emergency Measures are Lifted Aug 12, 2020
- SEE Change Magazine talks with SOIL on how COVID-19 is Impacting the Most Vulnerable Jun 9, 2020
- National Geographic: Explorers in the Field visits SOIL May 28, 2020
- SOIL Chosen as Editors’ Pick in the Food Planet Prize May 25, 2020
- SOCIETY Magazine: Completing the Poop Loop Jan 20, 2020
Photo Credit: Leonora Baumann / item