Green America: Tackling Soil, Sanitation, and Beyond in Haiti
For a recently published feature about SOIL’s lifesaving sanitation service, Kevin Fitzpatrick of Green America interviewed SOIL Executive Director and Co-Founder Dr. Sasha Kramer about what led her to co-found SOIL, the connection between sanitation and agriculture, and the innovation behind SOIL’s revolutionary composting waste treatment facility.
SOIL’s solution “addresses a wide range of basic human rights issues such as access to food, access to sanitation, and living in a clean environment.” And, as Dr. Kramer shared with Kevin, “sanitation and food are inextricably connected, both in the sense that you wouldn’t poop if you didn’t eat, and eventually if we don’t capture the nutrients in that poop, we’re not going to be able to eat anymore.”
Thanks to SOIL’s full-cycle sanitation and waste treatment services in Haiti, over 40 metric tons of waste that could have otherwise polluted water sources are safely treated and transformed into agricultural-grade compost each month!
If you’d like to read more about the intersection between climate and sanitation or dig into SOIL’s history, check out the full article here.
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our work in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
Other Recent SOIL Coverage
- SOIL and Dr. Sasha Kramer Featured by Cartier Philanthropy Aug 24, 2022
- SOIL Board Member, Tanvi Nagpal, featured in DEVEX Jun 15, 2022
- SOIL at Expo 2020 Dubai Nov 10, 2021
- SOIL Featured in PBS Series Human: The World Within May 26, 2021
- SOIL Executive Director, Dr. Sasha Kramer, Interviewed by CNN International May 11, 2021
- SOIL Featured in New Book: Pipe Dreams by author Chelsea Wald Apr 16, 2021
- SOIL featured in Expo 2020 Dubai Global Best Practice Programme | Untold Stories Oct 5, 2020
- An Interview with Entre Nous: A Big Problem in Haiti – the Environment Sep 15, 2020
- Yon ti chita pale ak “Entre Nous”: Yon Gwo Pwoblem an Ayiti – Anviwonman an Sep 15, 2020
- Yale Climate Connections: As the planet warms, can we afford to treat poop as waste? Sep 1, 2020
Photo Credit: Leonora Baumann / item
February 22, 2020 (7:12 am)
Hi! my name is Mathurin François, a Haitian. I got my master degre in environmental Engineering at Universidade Estadual de Feira de Santan, Brazil. I would like to work in your company. If there is post for me, please contact me at [email protected]
February 26, 2020 (7:26 pm)
Thank you for your interest in joining the SOIL team! You can join our Employment Opportunities Notification List by signing up with your email here. You can also take a look at some of our more recent blog posts as we currently have two positions available.