Haiti Update: SOIL Board Member, Johnny Cèlestin, Speaks with DeRay Mckesson on Protest Movement
For months now, Haiti has been experiencing an alarming level of political turmoil and social unrest. The most recent protests around the country are the result of a myriad of stressors including worsening living conditions, allegations of government corruption, police brutality, and an uptick in kidnappings. In the past few weeks, calls for action, like #FreeHaiti and #HaitiSolidarity, began to appear across social media platforms, as the situation in Haiti started to make international news.
SOIL has been working for over a decade to promote human rights, environmental protection, and sustainable urban communities in Haiti, and our team continues to press through challenging obstacles to ensure basic service provision during these critical times. We continuously witness the resiliency of the Haitian people and their efforts to uplift one another, demand justice and restore their country. The incredible communities of women, men and children we serve continue to be our greatest motivators, and we want to amplify the demands for social justice for all Haitians.
We’re fortunate to have a few, of the many, inspiring Haitian voices sit on our SOIL Board of Directors. Johnny Cèlestin, is one such voice; a long-time social justice advocate, business leader and current faculty member at The New School. He recently sat down with the team at Pod Save the People to talk about the current situation in Haiti, as well as the historical context that has greatly influenced this moment. If you would like to catch up on what’s going on in Haiti we recommend listening to the conversation between Johnny and civil rights activist and podcast host, DeRay Mckesson. During the episode, Johnny talks about his background as a former deputy chief of staff for Haiti’s Minister of Planning, the current political turmoil, and his own personal relationship to Haiti. You can listen to the full podcast here (starts at 35:30).
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- From Larvae to Chicken Feed: What’s New with Black Soldier Fly Research Apr 8, 2021
- Haiti Update: SOIL Board Member, Johnny Cèlestin, Speaks with DeRay Mckesson on Protest Movement Mar 31, 2021
- SOIL x Reel Video: What does water mean to you? Mar 24, 2021
- Improving Collections with Human-Centered Design Mar 17, 2021
- Happy International Women’s Day! Mar 5, 2021
- Understanding the Price: the Push for Economic Biodiversity Feb 22, 2021
- Better, Cheaper, Faster: Researching Ways to Improve SOIL’s Composting Process Feb 12, 2021
- Meet Djimitri, SOIL’s Director of Operations Feb 5, 2021
- SOIL and CBSA Study: Comparing Costs of Urban Sanitation Solutions Feb 1, 2021
- Providing Dignified Sanitation Using Mobile Tech Jan 22, 2021