Happy Earth Day!
Our mission is rooted in making the planet a better place for all of us. This takes bold, innovative ideas and actions that protect both the people and the planet we inhabit. We hope you join us this Earth Day in supporting SOIL’s work to provide safely-managed sanitation service to support climate-resilient solutions for Haiti, and around the globe.
How does SOIL’s container-based sanitation service protect the planet?
SOIL’s household toilet conserves more than 19,000 gallons of scarce water resources each year relative to a flush toilet.
SOIL captures and safely treats over 400 metric tons of waste annually that would have otherwise gone on to contaminate vulnerable aquatic ecosystems and groundwater sources.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
SOIL’s sanitation system results in the mitigation of 126 kg per capita per year in CO2 equivalents (that’s nearly 800 kg per household per year in CO2 mitigation potential).
SOIL produces over 100 metric tons of compost. Capturing nutrients from human waste recycles and returns nutrients to the soil to restore ecosystems and improve agricultural livelihoods in northern Haiti.
Compost application in particularly damaged landscapes significantly helps to improve the absorptive capacity of topsoil, reducing the risk of flash floods and mudslides, and improve soil water retention to help farmers face increasingly frequent drought events.
SOIL’s toilets are also designed to be resilient to natural disasters and are the only sanitation technology used in urban Haiti which does not result in environmental contamination during flooding.
When you donate to support SOIL’s work in Haiti, you are making a critical investment in the planet for all of us. Creating equitable access to basic services benefits both people and planet, and we are so grateful for your generous support and advocacy.
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- Deriving financial benefit from SOIL’s climate mitigation action: is it possible? Apr 28, 2022
- Happy Earth Day! Apr 22, 2022
- Increasing Impact with EkoLakay Public Toilets Apr 13, 2022
- Job Post: Development and Communications Associate Apr 11, 2022
- Windrow Composting: What We’ve Learned from the Pilot Research and Where We’re Going Apr 7, 2022
- Women in Sanitation: Interview with Froggi VanRiper Apr 4, 2022
- SOIL Offers Food Canteen for Employees Mar 15, 2022
- SOIL Brings Dignified Sanitation to Kanaval Mar 11, 2022
- Introducing Our Advisory Board Feb 23, 2022
- AVI REKRITMAN: Konsiltan Konpos Lakay Feb 22, 2022