Happy Earth Day!
Our mission is rooted in making the planet a better place for all of us. This takes bold, innovative ideas and actions that protect both the people and the planet we inhabit. We hope you join us this Earth Day in supporting SOIL’s work to provide safely-managed sanitation service to support climate-resilient solutions for Haiti, and around the globe.
How does SOIL’s container-based sanitation service protect the planet?
SOIL’s household toilet conserves more than 19,000 gallons of scarce water resources each year relative to a flush toilet.
SOIL captures and safely treats over 400 metric tons of waste annually that would have otherwise gone on to contaminate vulnerable aquatic ecosystems and groundwater sources.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
SOIL’s sanitation system results in the mitigation of 126 kg per capita per year in CO2 equivalents (that’s nearly 800 kg per household per year in CO2 mitigation potential).
SOIL produces over 100 metric tons of compost. Capturing nutrients from human waste recycles and returns nutrients to the soil to restore ecosystems and improve agricultural livelihoods in northern Haiti.
Compost application in particularly damaged landscapes significantly helps to improve the absorptive capacity of topsoil, reducing the risk of flash floods and mudslides, and improve soil water retention to help farmers face increasingly frequent drought events.
SOIL’s toilets are also designed to be resilient to natural disasters and are the only sanitation technology used in urban Haiti which does not result in environmental contamination during flooding.
When you donate to support SOIL’s work in Haiti, you are making a critical investment in the planet for all of us. Creating equitable access to basic services benefits both people and planet, and we are so grateful for your generous support and advocacy.
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- PouBèlAyiti and World Environment Day: A Conversation with Angie Bell Aug 4, 2022
- Back to the Basics: An Overview of SOIL’s Essential Service Jul 25, 2022
- Strategies for Change: SOIL’s Partnership with Appleseed Jul 11, 2022
- GENERATING EVIDENCE TO IMPROVE CUSTOMER PAYMENT BEHAVIOR INTERVENTIONS FOR CBS SERVICE IN HAITI Jul 11, 2022
- Breeding in Progress: Updates on SOIL’s BSFL Research Jul 8, 2022
- New Publication Links Container-Based Sanitation and Human Rights Jun 24, 2022
- June 2022 Newsletter: Haiti in the News – Understanding the Historical Context Jun 20, 2022
- Following the Science with Carbon Credits: SOIL at the Global Water Summit Jun 9, 2022
- Meet Sadouddly May 26, 2022
- Avi Rekritman: Manadjè Senyò Vant May 16, 2022