Job Opening: Director of Information Technology
SOIL is an award-winning organization founded in 2006, inspired by the belief that the most pervasive human rights abuse globally is poverty. SOIL works in Haiti to increase access to climate-positive sanitation services using a groundbreaking circular-economy model that simultaneously improves public health, food security, economic development, and ecological resiliency. SOIL’s sanitation service currently provides over 2,000 families in northern Haiti with safely-managed sanitation and plans to expand this to over 8,000 families in the coming years. SOIL is a team of 60+ people with specialties in social business, ecology, sanitation, agriculture, finance, community relations, marketing, and more. Learn more about our work at www.oursoil.org.
JOIN OUR TEAM
SOIL is seeking a IT Director to provide support to our team by developing and executing a comprehensive technology strategy for our organization.
The IT Director is responsible for leading, directing, planning, and managing SOIL’s information technology strategy. They will lead the IT team and oversee the development and implementation of data analysis, computer operations, and related functions. As a member of SOIL’s Executive team, the IT Director participates in planning organizational growth and coordinating the strategic plan with the development of information systems.
The IT Director will be an experienced leader and motivator, with a record of successful change management, building and developing teams, establishing a strong data culture as organizational value, an extensive track record of successful service and project delivery and be able to demonstrate innovative practice. The IT Director will bring current knowledge and future vision to leverage information and technology in operational improvements and support for the organization’s mission and vision.
Primary tasks include:
- Developing a coherent, integrated technology strategy to advance SOIL’s strategic plan, incorporating learnings and recommendations from recent consultancy that reviewed SOIL’s current systems and data management tools.
- Developing an organizational analytics strategy including dashboards for Operations, Sales, and Development that enable relevant decision-makers to make data-based decisions.
- Analyzing SOIL’s current data management tools (including Microsoft Office, the Google suite, Asana, Slack, and SalesForce) and draft plans for streamlining and strengthening these systems keeping in mind the importance of replicability in the context of Haiti.
- Working collaboratively with operational leaders to assess, identify, and set internal technology priorities and sequences based on strategic priorities.
- Work with SOIL’s partners, in particular ONEPA, to draft a plan for integrating relevant data from SOIL’s operations into the Haitian government’s mWater platform.
- Setting objectives and strategies for the efficient and effective operations of the IT department.
- Developing IT risk mitigation strategies.
- Gaining knowledge in systems and hardware developments to ensure incorporation of new developments in future systems.
- Overseeing execution and implementation of all internal technology projects.
- Directing the design, development, and maintenance of systems, programs, and systems software to meet the organization’s needs.
- Creating, maintaining, and enforcing written policies and procedures regarding all computer operations in the IT Department and throughout the organization.
- Overseeing the technological infrastructure (networks and computer systems) in the organization to ensure optimal performance.
- Planning the implementation of new systems and provide guidance to IT professionals and other staff within the organization.
- Supervising the IT team, clearly defining team members’ roles and responsibilities, and creating opportunities for growth and professional development.
- Partnering with leadership to establish a strong data culture as an organizational value.
- Planning and managing technology acquisitions to ensure consistency with and support of the Organization’s strategic plans.
- Analyzing costs, benefits, and risks of internal technology solutions to advise operational leaders.
- Maintaining relationships with representatives of firms providing data hardware, software, and support service.
- Administering and controlling the information systems expense budget towards a cost-effective operation.
- Other tasks as requested and mutually agreed upon.
This post reports to the Executive Director and works closely with the Chief Operating Officer.
- At least 3+ years of proven experience as an IT Director or similar managerial role with quantifiable and demonstrable results
- Deep experience in managing and tackling the challenges associated with data collection, analysis, and integration in challenging contexts
- Comprehensive knowledge of information systems technology systems and infrastructure, including familiarity with tools, data methodologies, and systems available in the marketplace, and the ability to keep abreast of new technologies
- Proven project management skill, including needs analysis, planning, and implementation
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interface with IT, Operations, and Research teams, and negotiate between them
- Experience in leading groups through change and transformation, with proven change management techniques preferred
- Familiarity with the technical needs of nonprofits
- Admin experience in Salesforce and/or Netsuite
- Professional proficiency in English and French or, preferably, Haitian Creole
HOW TO APPLY
Send the application materials below by email to [email protected]l.org with “SOIL IT Director” in the subject line. Application materials should be in English or Creole and include only the following:
- Cover letter explaining your interest and most relevant qualifications for this position
- Contact information for 3 professional references (applicants will be notified before we contact these references)
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered. Please do NOT send copies of additional documents/certifications unless requested.