JOB OPENING: EkoLakay Program Advisor
Job Announcement: EkoLakay Program Advisor
Location: Port-au-Prince with limited travel to Cap-Haitien
Application Deadline: October 8th, 2016
Start Date: November 15, 2016 or as soon as possible
SOIL (Sustainable Organic Integrated Livelihoods) has been working in Haiti since 2006 to promote dignity, health, and sustainable livelihoods through the transformation of wastes into resources. The SOIL leadership team is pleased to announce an opportunity to join the SOIL Advisory Team in our Port-au-Prince office to support the development of our innovative social business (EkoLakay) for the provision of ecological household sanitation services.
We are a small organization focused on the quality of our work and committed to developing innovative and sustainable sanitation solutions in Haiti. We are also committed to conducting rigorous research on novel sustainable sanitation technologies to be passed on to the Haitian government and private sector. Helping us improve operations through applied research and outreach is where you come in!
SOIL is currently seeking a EkoLakay Program Advisor to provide guidance to SOIL’s household toilet program in achieving its strategic objectives. The advisor is responsible for providing key support to the EkoLakay Program Managers and acting as a liaison between external researchers and the SOIL operational team to push forward innovations and improve operational efficiency.
We are looking for someone with a passion for environmental protection and increasing access to sanitation through social business development who is ready to put their knowledge to work in the field. This position is critical to SOIL’s long-term vision of increasing access to affordable, dignified sanitation services and creating sustainable livelihood opportunities in Haiti and globally.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE
- Providing technical direction/assistance in planning program activities.
- Working with the Cap-Haitien Ekolakay Program Advisor and the Program Directors to develop an annual strategic document for the EkoLakay Program with clear objectives and indicators.
- Supporting EkoLakay Program Director to improve the effective implementation of proposed strategy, including:
- Helping team members create clear project timelines & deadlines.
- Supporting human resources planning, reviewing the program organogram, employee roles and responsibilities, new job postings, etc.
- Analyzing data to provide regular recommendations on how to improve operations and advance the Port-au-Prince EkoLakay program.
- Identifying/incorporating best practices and lessons learned into program strategy and operations.
- Working with and training SOIL staff to increase cross-organizational communication, efficiency and institutional memory by improving processes and monitoring systems around data management and operational protocols. Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with Systems Director and EkoLakay team to transition to a Salesforce-based database to streamline operations and improve the service.
- Working with the Systems Director and EkoLakay team to implement a smartphone-based data collection system for EkoLakay operations.
- Maintaining oversight of Dropbox, data collection, and storage.
- Supporting the Program Director in developing, evaluating, and periodically updating operational protocols.
- Participating in program monitoring, evaluating, and periodic reporting related to implementation of strategy; specifically:
- Reviewing the EkoLakay Program Director’s monthly report and submit questions/corrections to him/her as necessary.
- Submitting a monthly report to Directors that summarizes progress towards strategic objectives, including challenges and proposed resolutions.
- Support SOIL management and Development team in reporting on grants related to the EkoLakay Port-au-Prince program.
- Working with Program Directors and the EkoLakay team in Port-au-Prince to review and revise the EkoLakay Operational Strategy Document every three months.
- Developing the capacity of Program Director and staff by:
- Developing learning activities, audio-visual materials, instructor guides, and lesson plans as related to employees’ responsibilities.
- Developing team-building exercises and workshops.
- Supporting the EkoLakay Program Director and/or Regional Director in meetings as well as field visits to target areas with beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
- Coordinating with appropriate stakeholders in all aspects of project planning, monitoring, and implementation for all activities;
- Making frequent field visits to inspect progress of EkoLakay activities. If possible, this should include actually doing the job of each of the team members to better understand SOIL’s processes with the goal of advising the Regional Directors and Program Director on how to improve efficiency and staff safety.
- Passion for development and appreciation for Haiti
- Respect for co-workers
- Strong coaching/mentoring skills and readiness to work in a supportive capacity
- MBA or experience developing and/or evaluating business plans
- The ability to investigate issues, analyze the findings, and provide strong data-based recommendations to colleagues.
- Experience with social business development for the provision of basic services
- Background in data management and analysis
- Experience in preparing and managing budgets
- Ideally, experience in WASH, especially sustainable sanitation technologies
- Fluency in English and French
- Moderate fluency in Haitian Creole (the primary language used within the organization) or willingness to achieve it
If you fulfill the criteria above and are interested in applying for the position, please provide the following documentation:
- Cover letter
- 3 references, at least one (1) of which must be a professional reference
Please send these documents via email to [email protected] before October 8th, 2016 to be considered for this opening.