JOB OPENING: FINANCE DIRECTOR
Innovative, award-winning non-profit organization with over twelve years of demonstrated success in Haiti seeks a Finance Director to strategically guide SOIL’s Finance department, ensuring compliance with US non-profit finance regulations and stewarding ongoing improvements to financial management systems.
SOIL is an award-winning organization founded in 2006, inspired by the belief that the most pervasive human rights abuse globally is poverty and that the key to unlocking human development potential is ensuring equitable, safe, and dignified access to basic services. SOIL works in Haiti to increase access to sanitation services using a groundbreaking circular-economy model that simultaneously improves public health, food security, economic development, and ecological resiliency. SOIL’s sanitation service currently provides over 6,000 people with safely-managed sanitation, prevents over 500 metric tons of waste from polluting water resources each year, and produces over 80 metric tons of compost annually. SOIL is a team of 70+ people with specialties in social business, ecology, sanitation, agriculture, finance, community relations, marketing, and more. Over the next 5 years, SOIL has an ambitious plan to expand services to 15% of the population of Cap-Haïtien, Haiti’s second largest city in partnership with the Inter-American Development Bank and the Haitian government. In addition to direct expansion in Haiti, SOIL is global thought leader in the fields of sanitation and social entrepreneurship working with partners around the world to revolutionize basic service provision.
JOIN OUR TEAM
To implement this bold 5-year vision, SOIL is looking for a part-time Finance Director to lead the organization’s financial management join SOIL’s senior leadership. The Finance Director will oversee SOIL’s financial reporting and management of their ~$2 million per year budget. The time commitment is expected to be in the range of 20 hours per week but will vary based on deliverables.
The Finance Director will report directly to the Executive Director and be responsible for updating financial policies and procedures, systematizing finance tasks, ensuring that the staff and board have the financial information necessary to successfully manage the organization, maintaining the integrity of the US based financial management system, collaborating with Haiti-based finance staff, and supporting the development team with financial reports and information. The right candidate will possess rich experience, joy and skill in non-profit financial management, interest in developing authentic relationships with teammates while working remotely, and passion for supporting economic development, public health, and environmental restoration.
SOIL’s supporters are dedicated to helping us build sustainable impactful solutions in Haiti. Similarly, we are committed to respecting them as donors. We apply this philosophy throughout our approach to fund management and are committed to maintaining rigorous financial oversite and full transparency. You can expect hands-on support from the SOIL Executive Management team and the backing of the Executive Director.
- Degree in Finance, Business Administration, or Accounting
- Demonstrated success in managing organizational budgets greater than $1.8 million annually
- Experience in developing and improving financial procedures and protocols
- Experience in US 501 C3 government reporting including 990 tax returns and employee payroll taxes
- Experience in managing annual financial audits
- Donor reporting experience
- Experience with financial management software (NetSuite,Quickbooks, Xero, etc.)
- Capacity to provide monthly financial reporting and cash flows to the operational team
- At least 5 years of experience in non-profit financial management
- Strong time and task management skills and committed attention to detail
- Experience working with large institutional funders such as bilaterals, multilaterals and international financing institutions
- Experience leading strategy development with social businesses and/or non-profits
- Experience supporting with human resources
- Experience with NetSuite
- Fluency in French and/or Haitian Creole
SOIL’s office is in Cap-Haïtien, Haiti and we have several staff members who work remotely. This will be a remote position which is ideally US-based to facilitate engagement with banking institutions, funders, auditors, government stakeholders, etc.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Salary commensurate with experience and development positions at similar-sized organizations.
- Benefits include international health insurance or a health stipend to reimburse a plan of your choosing, an annual bonus, flexible work hours and 4-weeks of paid vacation annually.
START DATE: Position currently open.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter, CV, and 3 professional references to SOIL by email at [email protected] no later than February 28, 2020. Applications will be considered as they are received.
Photo credit: Vic Hinterlang.