JOB OPENING: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
Innovative, award-winning non-profit organization with over twelve years of demonstrated success in Haiti seeks a Development Director who can secure the external financing needed to expand and sustain our sanitation services in urban Haiti.
SOIL is an award-winning organization founded in 2006, inspired by the belief that the most pervasive human rights abuse globally is poverty and that the key to unlocking human development potential is ensuring equitable, safe, and dignified access to basic services. SOIL works in Haiti to increase access to sanitation services using a groundbreaking circular-economy model that simultaneously improves public health, food security, economic development, and ecological resiliency. SOIL’s sanitation service currently provides over 6,000 people with safely-managed sanitation, prevents over 500 metric tons of waste from polluting water resources each year, and produces over 80 metric tons of compost annually. SOIL is a team of 70+ people with specialties in social business, ecology, sanitation, agriculture, finance, community relations, marketing, and more. Over the next 5 years, SOIL has an ambitious plan to expand services to 15% of the population of Cap-Haïtien, Haiti’s second-largest city in partnership with the Inter-American Development Bank and the Haitian government. In addition to direct expansion in Haiti, SOIL is a global thought leader in the fields of sanitation and social entrepreneurship working with partners around the world to revolutionize basic service provision.
JOIN OUR TEAM
To implement this bold 5-year vision, SOIL is looking for a Development Director to lead the organization’s fundraising efforts and join SOIL’s senior leadership. The Development Director will manage SOIL’s three-person Development Team in their efforts to raise over $2 million each year.
The Development Director will lead, support and build the capacity of our development team, manage all aspects of our development strategy, and have a strong focus on building the resiliency of our funding portfolio through individual giving, grant fundraising, results-based financing, and carbon financing. The right candidate will possess rich experience, joy and skill in fundraising, talent for creating authentic relationships, and passion for supporting economic development, public health, and environmental restoration.
SOIL’s supporters are dedicated to helping us build sustainable impactful solutions in Haiti. Similarly, we are committed to respecting them as donors. We apply this philosophy throughout our approach to donor prospecting, soliciting gifts, stewarding relationships, and maintaining full transparency. You can expect hands-on support from your smart, enthusiastic fundraising team, and the backing of SOIL’s Executive Director and Financial Director.
- Demonstrated success playing a lead role in funding organizational budgets greater than $1.8 million annually
- Established track record working with individual donors and securing major gifts and increasing monthly donations
- Experience securing foundation grants (including grant prospecting, writing, and reporting)
- At least 5 years of experience in non-profit fundraising
- At least 3 years of experience in staff supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication (in English)
- Strong time and task management skills
- Ability to tackle and complete assignments on a quick turnaround
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Experience working in Haiti or similar contexts globally
- Deep knowledge of the sanitation sector
- Experience working with large institutional funders such as bilaterals, multilaterals and international financing institutions
- Experience with innovative, blended-finance funding models including results-based finance or development impact bonds
- Experience with carbon financing
- Experience partnering with the public sector and securing public sector contracts
- Experience working with social businesses and leading strategy development
- Experience with NetSuite or similar donor databases
- Fluency in French and/or Haitian Creole
SOIL has offices in Port-au-Prince and Cap-Haitien, Haiti and we have several staff members who work remotely. We have a slight preference for staff who are based in Port-au-Prince, Cap-Haitien, Portland, OR, Washington, DC, Miami, FL or New York, NY but we are very open to this being a remote-based position.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Salary commensurate with experience and development positions at similar-sized organizations.
- Benefits include international health insurance or a health stipend to reimburse a plan of your choosing, an annual bonus, flexible work hours and 4-weeks of paid vacation annually.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter, CV, and 3 references to SOIL by email at [email protected] no later than December 7, 2019. Applications will be considered as they are received.
INTERESTED IN OTHER POSITIONS? Sign up to receive announcements of future job and internship openings at SOIL on our Careers page.
Photo credit: Bijay Rai
Got something to say?