July 2021 Newsletter: Lespwa Fè Viv
We want to take a moment to acknowledge the horrible tragedy that occurred in Haiti last week, the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse. SOIL strongly condemns this act of violence and we send our condolences to his family. We are saddened at the way in which this act will likely further destabilize the country, deepening the struggle for so many of our friends and colleagues. At this time, we are doing all we can to protect the safety of our staff and ensure service to our customers. We are immensely grateful for the outpouring of love and support we have received from friends, supporters and partners in more than 25 countries who have reached out to express their solidarity and to check in on the wellbeing of our staff and customers.
These past few months, and the events of last week, have been difficult for our staff, for our community, and for the country we all love so dearly. Even though things seem bleak right now, we know that Haiti will persevere. This is a land so vibrant and alive that even after months without rain, when Haiti’s capital is coated in dust, the air is lit with the brightness of children’s smiles. This is a country where neither earthquakes, nor floods, nor cholera can erase simple kindness and humanity. We are consistently humbled by the courage of Haitian activists who continue to fight for justice, accountability and equity in spite of, and in response to, the centuries of injustice that have brought Haiti to this point. We are proud to work in a country with a rich legacy of combatting oppression and we are confident that the irrepressible Haitian spirit will once again triumph, though not without a cost. We thank those who stand in solidarity with Haiti at this time, helping to shoulder this burden where possible.
We believe in the possibility of a brighter future for Haiti, for the planet that gives us life, and for all of us who share in this journey together. Working towards this vision each day, even in the face of every imaginable hardship, is an expression of profound hope and an expression of love. And the path is easier when walked together. Thank you to all the friends of SOIL who have been moved by the struggle in Haiti.
The SOIL team
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- Papers to Practice Podcast: SOIL’s Dr. Sasha Kramer and Research Partner, Dr. Rebecca Ryal discuss GHG Emissions and Waste Sep 20, 2022
- SOIL & Schools: Inspiring the Next Generation of Change Makers Sep 7, 2022
- Expanding SOIL’s Data Concepts and Analyses Using DataCamp Aug 31, 2022
- Meet Beverly, SOIL’s new Sr. Sales Manager! Aug 15, 2022
- PouBèlAyiti and World Environment Day: A Conversation with Angie Bell Aug 4, 2022
- Back to the Basics: An Overview of SOIL’s Essential Service Jul 25, 2022
- Strategies for Change: SOIL’s Partnership with Appleseed Jul 11, 2022
- GENERATING EVIDENCE TO IMPROVE CUSTOMER PAYMENT BEHAVIOR INTERVENTIONS FOR CBS SERVICE IN HAITI Jul 11, 2022
- Breeding in Progress: Updates on SOIL’s BSFL Research Jul 8, 2022
- New Publication Links Container-Based Sanitation and Human Rights Jun 24, 2022