July 2021 Newsletter: Lespwa Fè Viv
We want to take a moment to acknowledge the horrible tragedy that occurred in Haiti last week, the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse. SOIL strongly condemns this act of violence and we send our condolences to his family. We are saddened at the way in which this act will likely further destabilize the country, deepening the struggle for so many of our friends and colleagues. At this time, we are doing all we can to protect the safety of our staff and ensure service to our customers. We are immensely grateful for the outpouring of love and support we have received from friends, supporters and partners in more than 25 countries who have reached out to express their solidarity and to check in on the wellbeing of our staff and customers.
These past few months, and the events of last week, have been difficult for our staff, for our community, and for the country we all love so dearly. Even though things seem bleak right now, we know that Haiti will persevere. This is a land so vibrant and alive that even after months without rain, when Haiti’s capital is coated in dust, the air is lit with the brightness of children’s smiles. This is a country where neither earthquakes, nor floods, nor cholera can erase simple kindness and humanity. We are consistently humbled by the courage of Haitian activists who continue to fight for justice, accountability and equity in spite of, and in response to, the centuries of injustice that have brought Haiti to this point. We are proud to work in a country with a rich legacy of combatting oppression and we are confident that the irrepressible Haitian spirit will once again triumph, though not without a cost. We thank those who stand in solidarity with Haiti at this time, helping to shoulder this burden where possible.
We believe in the possibility of a brighter future for Haiti, for the planet that gives us life, and for all of us who share in this journey together. Working towards this vision each day, even in the face of every imaginable hardship, is an expression of profound hope and an expression of love. And the path is easier when walked together. Thank you to all the friends of SOIL who have been moved by the struggle in Haiti.
The SOIL team
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- Client Story: Meet Edeline La Fosse Jul 29, 2021
- SOIL Mentioned on NPR’s Fresh Air Podcast Jul 19, 2021
- July 2021 Newsletter: Lespwa Fè Viv Jul 14, 2021
- SOIL’s Public Toilets Provide Safe Sanitation to Cap-Haitien Market Jul 1, 2021
- SOIL Participates in First-Ever National Interscholastic Puzzle Competition in Haiti Jun 24, 2021
- Human Waste for Sustainable Futures Jun 17, 2021
- Let’s Talk About Inclusive Sanitation! Jun 9, 2021
- SOIL Featured in PBS Series Human: The World Within May 26, 2021
- Field Day for the Directors: Launching a New Research Project May 19, 2021
- SOIL Executive Director, Dr. Sasha Kramer, Interviewed by CNN International May 11, 2021