Meet Djimitri, SOIL’s New Operations Director
As SOIL continues to grow, so does our team! SOIL recently created a new position for an Operations Director in Cap-Haitien, Haiti. This new role is critical to our efforts to expand SOIL’s reach and will work with the senior management team in Port-au-Prince and Cap-Haitien to guide SOIL’s performance and growth. Djimitri Celestin was selected for this position, which starts mid-November, and we are delighted to welcome him to the SOIL team.
Djimitri has a background in industrial engineering and supply chain management and will be a huge asset to SOIL as we scale up our services in Cap-Haitien. His responsibilities will also include creating and managing a sales department to help SOIL grow, monitoring and evaluating KPI performance across our different teams, and working with SOIL’s COO and HR director to make sure human resource protocols are working well in action.
Djimitri discovered SOIL when he was in a restroom in Haiti and saw one of our composting toilets. He was intrigued by the idea of transforming human waste and started to read more about SOIL’s work. He later received some SOIL compost from a friend and was reassured after using the compost on his vegetables. “[SOIL’s] The team took this opportunity to take an ecological problem and turn it into [a] benefit for health, but also for our agricultural progress. SOIL is cleaning our natural resources while improving fertilizers for food assistance,” shared Djimitri.
“I am extremely passionate about economic development,” said Djimitri in one of our early conversations together. “Our responsibilities to others and ourselves are to create wealth, not only wealth but a generation of progress. I believe in community progress. The key goal that we should all have is: ‘I am planting a tree but I may not be the one eating the fruits.’”
Here’s to that! We are all really looking forward to Djimitri joining our efforts to expand lifesaving sanitation services in under-resourced communities later this month. In the meantime, please us in giving him a warm SOIL welcome!
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our work in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
Other Recent Updates from SOIL
- Climate Risks: Understanding Haiti’s Climate Vulnerability Apr 22, 2021
- From Larvae to Chicken Feed: What’s New with Black Soldier Fly Research Apr 8, 2021
- Haiti Update: SOIL Board Member, Johnny Cèlestin, Speaks with DeRay Mckesson on Protest Movement Mar 31, 2021
- SOIL x Reel Video: What does water mean to you? Mar 24, 2021
- Improving Collections with Human-Centered Design Mar 17, 2021
- Happy International Women’s Day! Mar 5, 2021
- Understanding the Price: the Push for Economic Biodiversity Feb 22, 2021
- Better, Cheaper, Faster: Researching Ways to Improve SOIL’s Composting Process Feb 12, 2021
- Meet Djimitri, SOIL’s Director of Operations Feb 5, 2021
- SOIL and CBSA Study: Comparing Costs of Urban Sanitation Solutions Feb 1, 2021
Photo credit: Vic Hinterlang