Publications by SOIL:
The SOIL Guide to Ecological Sanitation. Sasha Kramer and Co-authors. SOIL (Sustainable Organic Integrated Livelihoods), 2011. Available in English and Haitian Creole. Available for download here.
Process Cost Analysis for the Optimization of a Container Based Sanitation Service in Haiti. C. Remmington, L. Jean, S. Kramer, J. Boys, C. Dorea. WEDC Conference 2018. Available for download here.
Customer Satisfaction with the EkoLakay Household Toilet Service. SOIL, 2017. Available for download here.
Bacterial community structure transformed after thermophilically composting human waste in Haiti. Y.M. Piceno, G. Pecora-Black, S. Kramer, M. Roy, F.C. Reid, E.A. Dubinsky, et al. PLoS ONE 2017: 12(6): e0177626. Available for download here.
A social business model for the provision of household ecological sanitation services in urban Haiti. C. Remington, M. Cherrak, N. Preneta, S. Kramer, B. Mesa. WEDC Conference 2016. Available for download here.
Container-based sanitation: assessing costs and effectiveness of excreta management in Cap Haitien, Haiti. S. Tilmans, K. Russel, R. Sklar, L. Page, S. Kramer, and J. Davis. Environment and Urbanization. April 2015: 27: 89–104. Available for download here.
User perceptions of and willingness to pay for household container-based sanitation services: experience from Cap Haitien, Haiti. K. Russel, S. Tilmans, S. Kramer, R. Sklar, D. Tillias, and J. Davis. Environment and Urbanization. August 2015: 27(1): 1-15. Available for download here.
Piloting ecological sanitation (EcoSan) in the emergency context of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, after the 2010 earthquake. A. Kilbride, S. Kramer, and N.Preneta. WEDC Conference 2013. Available for download here.
Thermophilic composting of human wastes in uncertain urban environments: a case study from Haiti. S. Kramer, N. Preneta, and A. Kilbride. WEDC Conference 2013. Available for download here.
Can We Sell EcoSan Compost in Haiti? A Market Analysis Report. SOIL, 2011. Available for download here.
Publications about SOIL:
Ascaris and Escherichia coli Inactivation in an Ecological Sanitation System in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. D. Berendes, K. Levy, J. Knee, T. Handzel, and V.R. Hill. PLoS ONE 10(5): e0125336. Available for download here.
Business Models for Fecal Sludge Management. K.C. Rao, E. Kvarnström, L. Di Mario, and P. Drechsel. CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE), International Water Management Institute (IWMI). 2016. Available for download here.
Designing the Next Generation of Sanitation Businesses, a report by Hystra. September 2014. More information here.
Fostering Water and Sanitation Markets in Latin America and the Caribbean: How the Public Sector Can Support the Private Sector to Bridge Coverage Gaps and Improve Service Quality for Low-Income Populations, D. Sparkman, and G. Sturzenegger. Interamican Development Bank. August 2016. Available online here.
Sustainable Sanitation: Fertiliser from Human Waste. M. Sanders. Proceedings of the ICE – Waste and Resource Management 168(3):144 –151. October 2015. Available online here.
Media coverage on SOIL
- SOIL Featured in New Book on Global Changemakers June 28, 2018
- Tree Hugger: How SOIL’s Humble Toilet is Improving Health in Haiti May 28, 2018
- Sasha Kramer and Tony Loyd on Sustainable Sanitation Solutions May 26, 2018
- INKLINE: How SOIL is Chasing the Sustainable Sanitation Dream May 23, 2018
- Juno7: All About SOIL’s Organic Compost May 9, 2018
- New York Times: Can Dirt Save the Earth? April 26, 2018
- Juneau Empire: How Human Waste Can Be Transformed into Resources April 16, 2018
- The Guardian: Life without Toilets April 3, 2018
- Ozy: Why Cities are Starting to Shun Sewers March 12, 2018
- RT on Haiti and SOIL with Dr. Sasha Kramer February 12, 2018
- Hub Culture: An Interview with SOIL’s Sasha Kramer February 5, 2018
- Common Dreams: Head of Prominent NGO Walks Out of Trump’s Davos Speech January 29, 2018
- New York Times: Growing Interest in SOIL’s Sanitation Solution January 25, 2018
- Lift Economy: Poop to the Rescue for Eroding Soils January 22, 2018
- BBC: Checking in with SOIL and the Problem Solvers January 10, 2018