Publications by SOIL:
Sanitation and Climate. M. Reid. June 2020. Available for Download from Nature here.
Climate Change Mitigation Potential in Sanitation via Off-site Composting of Human Waste. J. François, R. Ryals, G. McNicol, S. Kramer, J. Jeliazovski. June 2020. Available for download from Nature here.
How cost analysis dispels myths about container-based sanitation. J. Coates, D.Gray. March 2020. Available for download here.
Taking Container-Based Sanitation to Scale: Opportunities and Challenges. K. Russel, K. Hughes, M. Roach, D. Auerbach, A. Foote, S. Kramer, R. Briceño. November 2019. Available for download here.
Sanitation Safety Plan. Sustainable Organic Integrated Livelihoods. October 2019. Available for download from World Health Organization here.
Greenhouse Gas Fluxes from Human Waste Management Pathways in Haiti. R. Ryals, G. McNicol, S. Porder, S. Kramer. April 2019. Available for download here.
Building a Sustainable Citywide Sanitation Service. N. Miller, L. Jean. Sustainable Sanitation Practice. January 2019. Available for download here.
Process Cost Analysis for the Optimization of a Container Based Sanitation Service in Haiti. C. Remmington, L. Jean, S. Kramer, J. Boys, C. Dorea. WEDC Conference 2018. Available for download here.
Customer Satisfaction with the EkoLakay Household Toilet Service. SOIL, S. Smith. 2017. Available for download here.
Bacterial community structure transformed after thermophilically composting human waste in Haiti. Y.M. Piceno, G. Pecora-Black, S. Kramer, M. Roy, F.C. Reid, E.A. Dubinsky, et al. PLoS ONE 2017: 12(6): e0177626. Available for download here.
A social business model for the provision of household ecological sanitation services in urban Haiti. C. Remington, M. Cherrak, N. Preneta, S. Kramer, B. Mesa. WEDC Conference 2016. Available for download here.
Container-based sanitation: assessing costs and effectiveness of excreta management in Cap Haitien, Haiti. S. Tilmans, K. Russel, R. Sklar, L. Page, S. Kramer, and J. Davis. Environment and Urbanization. April 2015: 27: 89–104. Available for download here.
User perceptions of and willingness to pay for household container-based sanitation services: experience from Cap Haitien, Haiti. K. Russel, S. Tilmans, S. Kramer, R. Sklar, D. Tillias, and J. Davis. Environment and Urbanization. August 2015: 27(1): 1-15. Available for download here.
Piloting ecological sanitation (EcoSan) in the emergency context of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, after the 2010 earthquake. A. Kilbride, S. Kramer, and N.Preneta. WEDC Conference 2013. Available for download here.
Thermophilic composting of human wastes in uncertain urban environments: a case study from Haiti. S. Kramer, N. Preneta, and A. Kilbride. WEDC Conference 2013. Available for download here.
The SOIL Guide to Ecological Sanitation. Sasha Kramer and Co-authors. SOIL (Sustainable Organic Integrated Livelihoods), 2011. Available in English and Haitian Creole. Available for download here.
Can We Sell EcoSan Compost in Haiti? A Market Analysis Report. SOIL, 2011. Available for download here.
Publications about SOIL:
Evaluating the viability of establishing container-based sanitation in low- income settlements. R.N. Dewhurst, C. Furlong, S. Tripathi, M.R. Templeton, R.E. Scott. July 2019. Available for download here.
Realizing the Circular Economy for Sanitation: Assessing Enabling Conditions and Barriers to the Commercialization of Human Excreta Derived Fertilizer in Haiti and Kenya. B. Moya, R. Sakabrani, A. Parker. Sustainability Journal. 2019. Available for download here.
Evaluating the Potential of Container-Based Sanitation. World Bank. 2019. Available for download here.
Ascaris and Escherichia coli Inactivation in an Ecological Sanitation System in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. D. Berendes, K. Levy, J. Knee, T. Handzel, and V.R. Hill. PLoS ONE 10(5): e0125336. Available for download here.
Business Models for Fecal Sludge Management. K.C. Rao, E. Kvarnström, L. Di Mario, and P. Drechsel. CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE), International Water Management Institute (IWMI). 2016. Available for download here.
Designing the Next Generation of Sanitation Businesses, a report by Hystra. September 2014. More information here.
Fostering Water and Sanitation Markets in Latin America and the Caribbean: How the Public Sector Can Support the Private Sector to Bridge Coverage Gaps and Improve Service Quality for Low-Income Populations, D. Sparkman, and G. Sturzenegger. Interamican Development Bank. August 2016. Available online here.
Sustainable Sanitation: Fertiliser from Human Waste. M. Sanders. Proceedings of the ICE – Waste and Resource Management 168(3):144 –151. October 2015. Available online here.
Media coverage on SOIL
- SOIL Featured in PBS Series Human: The World Within May 26, 2021
- SOIL Executive Director, Dr. Sasha Kramer, Interviewed by CNN International May 11, 2021
- SOIL Featured in New Book: Pipe Dreams by author Chelsea Wald April 16, 2021
- SOIL featured in Expo 2020 Dubai Global Best Practice Programme | Untold Stories October 5, 2020
- An Interview with Entre Nous: A Big Problem in Haiti – the Environment September 15, 2020
- Yon ti chita pale ak “Entre Nous”: Yon Gwo Pwoblem an Ayiti – Anviwonman an September 15, 2020
- Yale Climate Connections: As the planet warms, can we afford to treat poop as waste? September 1, 2020
- August Newsletter: SOIL Launches New Marketing Campaign as Emergency Measures are Lifted August 12, 2020
- SEE Change Magazine talks with SOIL on how COVID-19 is Impacting the Most Vulnerable June 9, 2020
- National Geographic: Explorers in the Field visits SOIL May 28, 2020
- SOIL Chosen as Editors’ Pick in the Food Planet Prize May 25, 2020
- SOCIETY Magazine: Completing the Poop Loop January 20, 2020
- AJ+ Français: TURNING DEADLY POOP INTO FERTILE SOIL January 7, 2020
- Green America: Tackling Soil, Sanitation, and Beyond in Haiti January 3, 2020
- JSTOR: A History of Human Waste As Fertilizers November 25, 2019