Publications by SOIL:
The SOIL Guide to Ecological Sanitation. Sasha Kramer and Co-authors. SOIL (Sustainable Organic Integrated Livelihoods), 2011. Available in English and Haitian Creole. Available for download here.
A social business model for the provision of household ecological sanitation services in urban Haiti. C. Remington, M. Cherrak, N. Preneta, S. Kramer, B. Mesa. WEDC Conference 2016. Available for download here.
Container-based sanitation: assessing costs and effectiveness of excreta management in Cap Haitien, Haiti. S. Tilmans, K. Russel, R. Sklar, L. Page, S. Kramer, and J. Davis. Environment and Urbanization. April 2015: 27: 89–104. Available for download here.
User perceptions of and willingness to pay for household container-based sanitation services: experience from Cap Haitien, Haiti. K. Russel, S. Tilmans, S. Kramer, R. Sklar, D. Tillias, and J. Davis. Environment and Urbanization. August 2015: 27(1): 1-15. Available for download here.
Piloting ecological sanitation (EcoSan) in the emergency context of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, after the 2010 earthquake. A. Kilbride, S. Kramer, and N.Preneta. WEDC Conference 2013. Available for download here.
Thermophilic composting of human wastes in uncertain urban environments: a case study from Haiti. S. Kramer, N. Preneta, and A. Kilbride. WEDC Conference 2013. Available for download here.
Can We Sell EcoSan Compost in Haiti? A Market Analysis Report. SOIL, 2011. Available for download here.
Publications about SOIL:
Ascaris and Escherichia coli Inactivation in an Ecological Sanitation System in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. D. Berendes, K. Levy, J. Knee, T. Handzel, and V.R. Hill. PLoS ONE 10(5): e0125336. Available for download here.
Business Models for Fecal Sludge Management. K.C. Rao, E. Kvarnström, L. Di Mario, and P. Drechsel. CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE), International Water Management Institute (IWMI). 2016. Available for download here.
Designing the Next Generation of Sanitation Businesses, a report by Hystra. September 2014. More information here.
Fostering Water and Sanitation Markets in Latin America and the Caribbean: How the Public Sector Can Support the Private Sector to Bridge Coverage Gaps and Improve Service Quality for Low-Income Populations, D. Sparkman, and G. Sturzenegger. Interamican Development Bank. August 2016. Available online here.
Sustainable Sanitation: Fertiliser from Human Waste. M. Sanders. Proceedings of the ICE – Waste and Resource Management 168(3):144 –151. October 2015. Available online here.
Media coverage on SOIL
- Nature Commode: Why Ecological Sanitation Is An Important Market Development Opportunity January 27, 2017
- New York Times: A Tool Kit for the Donor Eager to Grasp All the Risks of Donation January 13, 2017
- Impact Design Hub: 40 Under 40 December 20, 2016
- CBS News: Sowing seeds of hope for Haiti’s future December 20, 2016
- SOIL Enters the Cloud December 7, 2016
- The Panther: Improv Inc. Uses Humor to Raise Money for Haiti October 18, 2016
- MTV: How to help Haiti after Hurricane Matthew October 11, 2016
- History Channel Now: Using Feces and Soil to Fight Sanitation Issues September 28, 2016
- National Geographic: Transforming Haiti With An Endless Local Resource August 19, 2016
- New Security Beat: New Approach to Sanitation May Help Fast-Growing Urban Areas Achieve SDGs July 20, 2016
- Le Nouvelliste: Des toilettes aux assiettes: Et si nous passions à des solutions alternatives pour l’assainissement? June 28, 2016
- The POOP Project: You’re Tuned to CBS: SOIL’s Sasha Kramer, Kory Russel and Container Based Sanitation June 28, 2016
- Challenges News: Quand ong et secteur privé sont partenaires June 28, 2016
- The World Bank: Building Toilets And Changing Behaviors Can Save Lives in Haiti June 8, 2016
- Stanford Webinar: Container Based Sanitation Solutions May 2, 2016