SOIL Chosen as Editors’ Pick in the Food Planet Prize
photo credit: Bijay Rai
We have exciting news. SOIL’s team has been chosen as Editors’ Pick in The Curt Bergfor’s Food Planet Prize! SOIL has been recognized for its particular achievements in the category of Land Use and Agriculture for our innovative circular economy sanitation solution which promotes climate resiliency, protects ecosystems, restores soil fertility, and ultimately: nurtures sustainable food production.
SOIL’s solution tackles two of the world’s most pressing problems: lack of access to safe sanitation and decreasing agricultural production in large part due to soil degradation, intensive agricultural practices, and erosion. In providing in-home sanitation services to families in some of Haiti’s most vulnerable urban communities, SOIL is helping to prevent the spread of waterborne disease while producing nearly 100 tons of nutrient-packed compost each year. SOIL’s agricultural-grade compost has been proven to yield 15 times the harvest as farmland lacking fertilization and 3 times that of land that has been treated with synthetic fertilizers, increasing rural incomes and helping to protect against malnutrition and hunger. While we work to respond to an urgent need for sanitation access and local food production in Haiti, SOIL is dedicated to developing open-source solutions to support communities around the world in replicating similar climate-positive services in their local context.
About the Food Planet Prize
The Curt Bergfor’s Food Planet Prize aims to identify, showcase, and reward important initiatives to re-invent the food chain and help establish a sustainable food system within planetary boundaries. SOIL’s work was selected for the special theme on Land-Use and Agriculture. The Food Planet Prize in this category aims to highlight initiatives, projects, and ideas on how to manage the food system’s main asset: land.
SOIL’s team in Haiti works tirelessly to expand access to a sanitation service that transforms a public health crisis into a solution for restored soil health, positive economic development, and increased food security. As we re-double our efforts in the face of growing challenges, receiving this recognition from The Curt Bergfor Foundation’s Food Planet Prize Foundation is a tremendous honor. Thank you!
We are pleased to share the highlight for the Editor’s Choice award here: Editors’ Picks: Land Use and Agriculture
To see the full list of awards and recognitions that SOIL has received, follow this link.
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- World Centric: Interview with Sasha Kramer Jul 17, 2020
- SOIL announces new give-back partnership with bamboo toilet paper company, Reel Paper Jul 8, 2020
- A Devastating Blow to Haiti’s Most Vulnerable Jun 23, 2020
- New Routing App Streamlines SOIL’s COVID-19 Response Jun 17, 2020
- Nature Climate Change: Groundbreaking Research on GHG Emissions Offset of SOIL’s Sanitation Solution Jun 16, 2020
- June Newsletter: COVID-19 Response in Haiti and Latest News Jun 12, 2020
- In Memory of Deirdre May 20, 2020
- Meet Marckindy, SOIL’s Composting Supervisor May 18, 2020
- May Newsletter: Honoring Mothers Amidst COVID May 13, 2020
- Upcoming SOIL and CBSA Study: Comparing Costs of Urban Sanitation Solutions May 10, 2020