SOIL Featured in PBS Series Human: The World Within
We have exciting news to share! SOIL’s innovative sanitation solution was just featured in the new PBS series, HUMAN: The World Within. The six-part series is an unprecedented expedition into the vast universe inside of us all. The episode spotlighting SOIL’s work in Haiti is titled FUEL and recently aired on May 12th. This particular episode explores the human gut and its various functions through diverse examples including an ultra-marathon runner, a religious faster, a young girl suffering from allergies, and SOIL’s waste-to-resource sanitation approach.
In addition to discussing the complexities of our internal environment, the episode touches on issues pertaining to our external environment as well. Particularly, on how soil degradation, caused by deforestation and pesticides, has reverberating impacts on ecosystems that can breed disease in the environment, similar to the way unhealthy practices breed disease in the human body. The episode highlights how certain farming techniques, such as using chemical fertilizer, disrupt the natural balance of microbes in the soil which destroys both ecosystems and livelihoods. Luckily, just like in the body, we can restore this damage. SOIL is providing a model on how to do that in Haiti!
You don’t want to miss this fascinating series! Check out the full episode on FUEL here.
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- A Conversation with SOIL’s Human Resources Director, Wisner Jean-Louis Nov 23, 2022
- Making the Invisible Visible with CBSA’s Rémi Kaupp Nov 16, 2022
- SOIL’s Executive Director Receives the John and Elizabeth Phillips Award from her Alma Mater Nov 7, 2022
- SOIL Attends Sustainable Sanitation Consortium in Cape Town Nov 1, 2022
- A conversation with SOIL’s Romel Toussaint Oct 25, 2022
- Navigating the challenges in Haiti: A Conversation with SOIL’s EkoLakay Manager Oct 19, 2022
- Update from Haiti: October 2022 Oct 4, 2022
- Papers to Practice Podcast: SOIL’s Dr. Sasha Kramer and Research Partner, Dr. Rebecca Ryal discuss GHG Emissions and Waste Sep 20, 2022
- SOIL & Schools: Inspiring the Next Generation of Change Makers Sep 7, 2022
- Expanding SOIL’s Data Concepts and Analyses Using DataCamp Aug 31, 2022