SOIL Participates in First-Ever National Interscholastic Puzzle Competition in Haiti
SOIL’s mobile toilets at the event in Cap-Haitien.
The SOIL team loves to be a part of a problem-solving mission. However, we were introduced to an entirely new puzzling experience earlier this month with the first ever National Interscholastic Puzzle Competition in Cap-Haitien! Alas, they would not let us compete, because they said we were too old, but we did get to provide the sanitation facilities!
SOIL has recently started renting out mobile toilets at local events around Cap-Haitien as a new way to diversify our revenue stream and provide much needed on-site sanitation to these events. As we previously highlighted in May, SOIL’s EkoLakay waterless mobile toilets were lined on the boulevard during the festive May Day celebrations and agriculture fair in Cap-Haitien. In addition to providing a dignified sanitation option for public use, our mobile toilets also showcase the practical benefits of our service: no running water required, safely managed waste and a compost end product! We were thrilled to be able to have another opportunity to provide our services at the National Interscholastic Puzzle Competition, and we had a blast!
The event, which took place at Citadelle Laferrière in northern Haiti, the largest fortress in the Americas and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, was hosted by Haiti Puzzle, a game/toy company that designs puzzles that “capture the best of Haiti.” The company has a range of different puzzles featuring various Haitian figures and monuments, such as Catherine Flon and Palais Sans Souci. The puzzles, which are created for school aged children, are designed to teach kids Haitian history, while also invoking a sense of pride in Haitian culture and heritage. The SOIL team is always looking for opportunities to celebrate Haiti; it’s beauty, rich culture, and the strength and perseverance of its people, and we are proud to partner with Haiti Puzzle to provide sanitation for this event – in such a beautiful place! We hope to be back next year!
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- Creating Greater Impact Together: Interview with DINEPA’s Jude Fanfan Dec 2, 2021
- Job Post: Engineering and Operations Senior Research Fellow Nov 26, 2021
- SOIL’s 2021 Annual Report Nov 19, 2021
- World Toilet Day: Valuing Container-based Sanitation Nov 17, 2021
- SOIL at Expo 2020 Dubai Nov 10, 2021
- Final Earthquake Response Update Nov 9, 2021
- SOIL’s community-led earthquake response: Interview with Réa Dol Oct 27, 2021
- New Research on Container-based Sanitation Models Published in H2Open Journal Oct 19, 2021
- How Rapid Urbanization in Haiti can overburden fragile systems Oct 8, 2021
- The Challenges of Results-Based Financing for Sanitation: Shared Lessons Learned from Haiti Oct 5, 2021