SOIL x Reel Video: What does water mean to you?
This year on World Water Day, we were excited to collaborate with one of our incredible Give-Back Partners, Reel Paper. SOIL’s CEO and co-founder, Dr. Sasha Kramer, and board members, Johnny Cèlestin and Ingrid Henrys, sat down with members of the Reel team, including co-founder, Derin Oyekan, for an inspiring conversation on World Water Day. As organizations driven by the need for climate-positive and inclusive solutions to sanitation, World Water Day is especially important to us and the work that we do.
SOIL began partnering with California-based brand, Reel Paper, early last year as a beneficiary of their socially impactful Give-Back initiative. This charitable initiative supports SOIL’s life- changing sanitation work in Haiti – and, we’re big fans of their sustainability model too! Reel Paper is helping to revolutionize the paper industry, one roll at a time, as an ambitious and innovative organization with a sustainable approach. Their toilet paper is made of 100% bamboo, making it the most eco-friendly toilet paper on the market, and Reel also uses plastic-free, biodegradable packaging.
As we reflect on World Water Day and what water means to us, SOIL is proud to collaborate with companies like Reel Paper, particularly because of their commitment to sustainability, water savings and social responsibility. Since its launch in 2019, “Reel has eliminated more than 130,000 pieces of single use plastic, and saved over 2 million pounds of lumber, along with almost 13.4 million gallons of water” (Yahoo). It’s eco-friendly toilet paper and paper towels, are made with bamboo for its paper source. Bamboo uses significantly less water than hardwood trees, while also producing 35% more oxygen than trees – meaning an acre of bamboo can fix approximately 25 metric tons of atmospheric CO2 per year. By using bamboo, Reel is able to provide products that are not only more eco-friendly, but also softer and more durable than those made of wood fiber or recycled paper.
As part of our partnership, Reel Paper donates $0.50 to SOIL for every purchase of its products, which in turn, has helped build over 1,400 toilets in Haiti and provided access to dignified sanitation for 7,300 people. We are extremely grateful for this partnership and look forward to continued collaboration. Please check out the whole World Water Day conversation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROT0zj3V_rY
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- A Conversation with SOIL’s Human Resources Director, Wisner Jean-Louis Nov 23, 2022
- Making the Invisible Visible with CBSA’s Rémi Kaupp Nov 16, 2022
- SOIL’s Executive Director Receives the John and Elizabeth Phillips Award from her Alma Mater Nov 7, 2022
- SOIL Attends Sustainable Sanitation Consortium in Cape Town Nov 1, 2022
- A conversation with SOIL’s Romel Toussaint Oct 25, 2022
- Navigating the challenges in Haiti: A Conversation with SOIL’s EkoLakay Manager Oct 19, 2022
- Update from Haiti: October 2022 Oct 4, 2022
- Papers to Practice Podcast: SOIL’s Dr. Sasha Kramer and Research Partner, Dr. Rebecca Ryal discuss GHG Emissions and Waste Sep 20, 2022
- SOIL & Schools: Inspiring the Next Generation of Change Makers Sep 7, 2022
- Expanding SOIL’s Data Concepts and Analyses Using DataCamp Aug 31, 2022