SOIL x Reel Video: What does water mean to you?
This year on World Water Day, we were excited to collaborate with one of our incredible Give-Back Partners, Reel Paper. SOIL’s CEO and co-founder, Dr. Sasha Kramer, and board members, Johnny Cèlestin and Ingrid Henrys, sat down with members of the Reel team, including co-founder, Derin Oyekan, for an inspiring conversation on World Water Day. As organizations driven by the need for climate-positive and inclusive solutions to sanitation, World Water Day is especially important to us and the work that we do.
SOIL began partnering with California-based brand, Reel Paper, early last year as a beneficiary of their socially impactful Give-Back initiative. This charitable initiative supports SOIL’s life- changing sanitation work in Haiti – and, we’re big fans of their sustainability model too! Reel Paper is helping to revolutionize the paper industry, one roll at a time, as an ambitious and innovative organization with a sustainable approach. Their toilet paper is made of 100% bamboo, making it the most eco-friendly toilet paper on the market, and Reel also uses plastic-free, biodegradable packaging.
As we reflect on World Water Day and what water means to us, SOIL is proud to collaborate with companies like Reel Paper, particularly because of their commitment to sustainability, water savings and social responsibility. Since its launch in 2019, “Reel has eliminated more than 130,000 pieces of single use plastic, and saved over 2 million pounds of lumber, along with almost 13.4 million gallons of water” (Yahoo). It’s eco-friendly toilet paper and paper towels, are made with bamboo for its paper source. Bamboo uses significantly less water than hardwood trees, while also producing 35% more oxygen than trees – meaning an acre of bamboo can fix approximately 25 metric tons of atmospheric CO2 per year. By using bamboo, Reel is able to provide products that are not only more eco-friendly, but also softer and more durable than those made of wood fiber or recycled paper.
As part of our partnership, Reel Paper donates $0.50 to SOIL for every purchase of its products, which in turn, has helped build over 1,400 toilets in Haiti and provided access to dignified sanitation for 7,300 people. We are extremely grateful for this partnership and look forward to continued collaboration. Please check out the whole World Water Day conversation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROT0zj3V_rY
SOIL depends on individual donations from people like you to fund our lifesaving, earth-restoring sanitation services in Haiti. Please consider supporting SOIL today.
- Creating Greater Impact Together: Interview with DINEPA’s Jude Fanfan Dec 2, 2021
- Job Post: Engineering and Operations Senior Research Fellow Nov 26, 2021
- SOIL’s 2021 Annual Report Nov 19, 2021
- World Toilet Day: Valuing Container-based Sanitation Nov 17, 2021
- SOIL at Expo 2020 Dubai Nov 10, 2021
- Final Earthquake Response Update Nov 9, 2021
- SOIL’s community-led earthquake response: Interview with Réa Dol Oct 27, 2021
- New Research on Container-based Sanitation Models Published in H2Open Journal Oct 19, 2021
- How Rapid Urbanization in Haiti can overburden fragile systems Oct 8, 2021
- The Challenges of Results-Based Financing for Sanitation: Shared Lessons Learned from Haiti Oct 5, 2021