“Solar Solar Everywhere, And We’ve Even Got Some to Spare….”
….For all of our activities, that is. Our exciting news to share is that both of our Port-au-Prince and Cap-Haitien offices will soon be fully functioning on solar power.
It was only very recently with the expansion of our projects that we noticed our power situation just wasn’t cutting it. In Port-au-Prince, city utilities are unreliable, which meant we were running the generator all the time to power our laptops and office appliances. We hated contributing to carbon emissions, and we also hated hearing the loud generator motor at work.
In Cap-Haitien, we already had a small solar system that was initially installed when we built the office, but it, too was struggling to keep up with the increasing demands of our programs.
Fortunately, some of our partners stepped up to help SOIL deal with our power needs. Thanks to a generous donation from the Meyer Esther Mazor Foundation, a 3-Kw solar system was installed in our Port-au-Prince office in September. This system covers all of our needs and has made our lives so much easier! The other great news is that NRG has recently awarded us a huge 20-Kw solar grant for our Cap-Haitien office to both augment our capacity at the office and install a new system at our compost site. We are thrilled!
We are very grateful for these generous donations like these, and thrilled that they are enabling us to work with local Haitian solar panel companies, Enersa Haiti in Port-au-Prince and DigiKap in Cap-Haitien, to install and maintain the systems (we hope for many years to come)! Power on!
Want to keep reading?
- The Nakuru Accord: Building Bridges in the WASH Sector Jan 27, 2020
- SOCIETY Magazine: Completing the Poop Loop Jan 20, 2020
- Exciting Updates from SOIL’s Black Soldier Fly Research Jan 13, 2020
- A decade later, we remember Jan 10, 2020
- Green America: Tackling Soil, Sanitation, and Beyond in Haiti Jan 3, 2020
- The Guardian: The No-Flush Movement Dec 26, 2019
- Training a New Generation of Sanitation Researchers Dec 19, 2019
- Enduring Hope Dec 13, 2019
- New and Improved Bonzode Dec 10, 2019
- 2x the Impact on Giving Tuesday Dec 2, 2019