“When is a five gallon bucket of poop more than just a five gallon bucket of poop? In this episode, Shawn Shafner (The Puru) s(h)its down with Sasha Kramer, co-founder and Executive Director of SOIL, and engineer/academic Kory Russel of re.source. Their Container Based Sanitation model is creating health and wealth in Haiti–one five gallon composting toilet at a time. We’ll discuss the energetic content of a lump of poop, delve into the roots of waste-making culture, and find out how SOIL harnesses the power of ecosystems to address basic human needs during a steamy discussion about “liberation ecology.” Ohhhhh, yeahhhhhhh.”
Shawn Shafner, The POOP Project, 23 June, 2016. Listen to the full podcast here.
Want to keep reading?
- Job Opening: Development Director Aug 15, 2019
- Meet SOIL: Frantz Jean-Louis Aug 12, 2019
- Building for Growth: New Compost Bins in Northern Haiti Aug 9, 2019
- Waste to Resources: SOIL’s Black Soldier Fly Research Aug 7, 2019
- 15 of the Most Impactful Global Climate Projects Aug 2, 2019
- A record setting summer Jul 15, 2019
- “Priceless:” A Young Agronomist Tests SOIL Compost Jul 11, 2019
- New Paper: Reducing Emissions, Recovering Resources Jul 10, 2019
- Blavity: Combatting the Legacy of Environmental Racism in Haiti Jul 8, 2019
- Mapping for Growth: Optimizing SOIL Collection Routes Jun 11, 2019