“When is a five gallon bucket of poop more than just a five gallon bucket of poop? In this episode, Shawn Shafner (The Puru) s(h)its down with Sasha Kramer, co-founder and Executive Director of SOIL, and engineer/academic Kory Russel of re.source. Their Container Based Sanitation model is creating health and wealth in Haiti–one five gallon composting toilet at a time. We’ll discuss the energetic content of a lump of poop, delve into the roots of waste-making culture, and find out how SOIL harnesses the power of ecosystems to address basic human needs during a steamy discussion about “liberation ecology.” Ohhhhh, yeahhhhhhh.”
Shawn Shafner, The POOP Project, 23 June, 2016. Listen to the full podcast here.
Want to keep reading?
- Client Story: Meet Edeline La Fosse Jul 29, 2021
- SOIL Mentioned on NPR’s Fresh Air Podcast Jul 19, 2021
- July 2021 Newsletter: Lespwa Fè Viv Jul 14, 2021
- SOIL’s Public Toilets Provide Safe Sanitation to Cap-Haitien Market Jul 1, 2021
- SOIL Participates in First-Ever National Interscholastic Puzzle Competition in Haiti Jun 24, 2021
- Human Waste for Sustainable Futures Jun 17, 2021
- Let’s Talk About Inclusive Sanitation! Jun 9, 2021
- SOIL Featured in PBS Series Human: The World Within May 26, 2021
- Field Day for the Directors: Launching a New Research Project May 19, 2021
- SOIL Executive Director, Dr. Sasha Kramer, Interviewed by CNN International May 11, 2021