“When is a five gallon bucket of poop more than just a five gallon bucket of poop? In this episode, Shawn Shafner (The Puru) s(h)its down with Sasha Kramer, co-founder and Executive Director of SOIL, and engineer/academic Kory Russel of re.source. Their Container Based Sanitation model is creating health and wealth in Haiti–one five gallon composting toilet at a time. We’ll discuss the energetic content of a lump of poop, delve into the roots of waste-making culture, and find out how SOIL harnesses the power of ecosystems to address basic human needs during a steamy discussion about “liberation ecology.” Ohhhhh, yeahhhhhhh.”
Shawn Shafner, The POOP Project, 23 June, 2016. Listen to the full podcast here.
Want to keep reading?
- Understanding the Price: the Push for Economic Biodiversity Feb 22, 2021
- Better, Cheaper, Faster: Researching Ways to Improve SOIL’s Composting Process Feb 12, 2021
- Meet Djimitri, SOIL’s Director of Operations Feb 5, 2021
- SOIL and CBSA Study: Comparing Costs of Urban Sanitation Solutions Feb 1, 2021
- Providing Dignified Sanitation Using Mobile Tech Jan 22, 2021
- Executive Director, Dr. Sasha Kramer Represents SOIL at Latin America and Caribbean Finance Ministers’ Meeting Jan 18, 2021
- Debunking Urban Sanitation Myths Jan 7, 2021
- Bòn Fèt Endependans! Jan 1, 2021
- Client Story: Meet Augulia Cemeran Dec 17, 2020
- Sanitation is a Human Right Dec 9, 2020