“When is a five gallon bucket of poop more than just a five gallon bucket of poop? In this episode, Shawn Shafner (The Puru) s(h)its down with Sasha Kramer, co-founder and Executive Director of SOIL, and engineer/academic Kory Russel of re.source. Their Container Based Sanitation model is creating health and wealth in Haiti–one five gallon composting toilet at a time. We’ll discuss the energetic content of a lump of poop, delve into the roots of waste-making culture, and find out how SOIL harnesses the power of ecosystems to address basic human needs during a steamy discussion about “liberation ecology.” Ohhhhh, yeahhhhhhh.”
Shawn Shafner, The POOP Project, 23 June, 2016. Listen to the full podcast here.
Want to keep reading?
- Eight Years of Cholera is Eight Years Too Many Dec 8, 2018
- SOIL at COP24: The Opportunity Ahead of Us Dec 4, 2018
- 2018 Annual Report Dec 3, 2018
- Four Reasons to Love your Toilet Nov 19, 2018
- Avetisman Travay: Manadje Sistèm Nov 16, 2018
- Kickstarting Healthy Student Gardens with Three Tons of Compost Nov 9, 2018
- Illustrating the Research of Pathbreaking Women in Science Nov 5, 2018
- Get to know SOIL: A Conversation with EkoLakay’s Merlande Charles Nov 1, 2018
- Nurturing Another World Oct 12, 2018
- On Climate Change Adaptation: SOIL Research Updates Oct 10, 2018