“When is a five gallon bucket of poop more than just a five gallon bucket of poop? In this episode, Shawn Shafner (The Puru) s(h)its down with Sasha Kramer, co-founder and Executive Director of SOIL, and engineer/academic Kory Russel of re.source. Their Container Based Sanitation model is creating health and wealth in Haiti–one five gallon composting toilet at a time. We’ll discuss the energetic content of a lump of poop, delve into the roots of waste-making culture, and find out how SOIL harnesses the power of ecosystems to address basic human needs during a steamy discussion about “liberation ecology.” Ohhhhh, yeahhhhhhh.”
Shawn Shafner, The POOP Project, 23 June, 2016. Listen to the full podcast here.
Want to keep reading?
- Composting Across Countries: A visit to Kompotoi in Switzerland Sep 9, 2020
- Container-Based Sanitation: Including Vulnerable Populations in Climate Mitigation Aug 20, 2020
- August Newsletter: SOIL Launches New Marketing Campaign as Emergency Measures are Lifted Aug 12, 2020
- Reflections on Research: Biogeochemist Gavin McNicol shares insights from his research at SOIL Aug 7, 2020
- SOIL’s EkoLakay Toilet Service Bridging the Gap in Haiti’s Sanitation Sector Aug 4, 2020
- World Centric: Interview with Sasha Kramer Jul 17, 2020
- SOIL announces new give-back partnership with bamboo toilet paper company, Reel Paper Jul 8, 2020
- A Devastating Blow to Haiti’s Most Vulnerable Jun 23, 2020
- New Routing App Streamlines SOIL’s COVID-19 Response Jun 17, 2020
- Nature Climate Change: Groundbreaking Research on GHG Emissions Offset of SOIL’s Sanitation Solution Jun 16, 2020