“When is a five gallon bucket of poop more than just a five gallon bucket of poop? In this episode, Shawn Shafner (The Puru) s(h)its down with Sasha Kramer, co-founder and Executive Director of SOIL, and engineer/academic Kory Russel of re.source. Their Container Based Sanitation model is creating health and wealth in Haiti–one five gallon composting toilet at a time. We’ll discuss the energetic content of a lump of poop, delve into the roots of waste-making culture, and find out how SOIL harnesses the power of ecosystems to address basic human needs during a steamy discussion about “liberation ecology.” Ohhhhh, yeahhhhhhh.”
Shawn Shafner, The POOP Project, 23 June, 2016. Listen to the full podcast here.
Want to keep reading?
- Mapping for Growth: Optimizing SOIL Collection Routes Jun 11, 2019
- All Together to Make it Happen Jun 6, 2019
- Tracking the Reach of SOIL’s Compost May 30, 2019
- Referral Bonuses or Toilet Paper? May 8, 2019
- A Brand New Lab May 7, 2019
- Optimizing the Composting Process: Research Updates from Port-au-Prince Apr 26, 2019
- Meet Beverly, SOIL’s Port-au-Prince EkoLakay Director Apr 8, 2019
- All Under One Roof Apr 1, 2019
- A Cohort of Social Enterprises Building a Sustainable Future Mar 26, 2019
- RFI talks Public Health with SOIL Mar 19, 2019