“When is a five gallon bucket of poop more than just a five gallon bucket of poop? In this episode, Shawn Shafner (The Puru) s(h)its down with Sasha Kramer, co-founder and Executive Director of SOIL, and engineer/academic Kory Russel of re.source. Their Container Based Sanitation model is creating health and wealth in Haiti–one five gallon composting toilet at a time. We’ll discuss the energetic content of a lump of poop, delve into the roots of waste-making culture, and find out how SOIL harnesses the power of ecosystems to address basic human needs during a steamy discussion about “liberation ecology.” Ohhhhh, yeahhhhhhh.”
Shawn Shafner, The POOP Project, 23 June, 2016. Listen to the full podcast here.
Want to keep reading?
- Papers to Practice Podcast: SOIL’s Dr. Sasha Kramer and Research Partner, Dr. Rebecca Ryal discuss GHG Emissions and Waste Sep 20, 2022
- SOIL & Schools: Inspiring the Next Generation of Change Makers Sep 7, 2022
- Expanding SOIL’s Data Concepts and Analyses Using DataCamp Aug 31, 2022
- Meet Beverly, SOIL’s new Sr. Sales Manager! Aug 15, 2022
- PouBèlAyiti and World Environment Day: A Conversation with Angie Bell Aug 4, 2022
- Back to the Basics: An Overview of SOIL’s Essential Service Jul 25, 2022
- Strategies for Change: SOIL’s Partnership with Appleseed Jul 11, 2022
- GENERATING EVIDENCE TO IMPROVE CUSTOMER PAYMENT BEHAVIOR INTERVENTIONS FOR CBS SERVICE IN HAITI Jul 11, 2022
- Breeding in Progress: Updates on SOIL’s BSFL Research Jul 8, 2022
- New Publication Links Container-Based Sanitation and Human Rights Jun 24, 2022